Saturday, March 20, 2010

Squirrel Nut Zippers - HELL


I completely forgot about this song til I heard it the other day on KMFB 96.7. Man, it is just so amazing. Before I left Portland my roomate was getting me into calypso, which is a music genre I definitely had never explored. This song from the 90's is straight up Calypso, so crazy. I wish I had found a video for this song, but this was the best youtube had. Anyways, these guys were way ahead and behind the times. The 90's definitely had its assortment of gems. Like this....
Enjoy. I did.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, you're not kidding. Maybe the most creative song of the '90s. I followed these guys for a while (saw them live @ Bumbershoot one year). I also liked their song "Put a Lid on It." Betty Boop vocals. Very weird and very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, if I remember right, these guys were right at the forefront of that brief phase when ska and swing were popular in the mainstream (late '90s). Bosstones, Brian Setzer and all that. Pity it was so short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. The 6 month ska craze of the 90s. I remember it well....
    At UNR I was into ska forever and must have saw every ska band around.

    ReplyDelete