Sunday, October 26, 2008

My Band: Hideous Kids

The Hideous Kids Story

This is a clip from my first band, HIDEOUS KIDS that I started when I was 14 years old with two really great guys. Sam and Mike. We were named Hideous Kids in 1994 because we all liked Green Day's "Dookie" album and we'd heard they used to be called Sweet Children. So it was a parody name. And our first four song EP was called, "Kids Will Eat Themselves," which was a parody take on the German band "Pop Will Eat Itself." And all this means nothing to you..... the reader. We were making music as kind of a joke due to our somewhat limited technical skill. It was a strange era in music, the post Grunge, but pre-mid 90's Pre-"Alternative" era. Some of you probably remember what I'm talking about? Punk hadn't been re-circulated just yet? But it would help us to really change how we viewed our limited talents as artists and song writers. Anyone could get up on stage and be in a band in true punk rock ethos. We would go on to write over one hundred and fifty songs over the course of five years. AMAZING! I'm proud.

3 comments:

  1. Pop Will Eat Itself are not German, but English, from Stourbridge.

    See here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_Will_Eat_Itself

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had totally forgotten about the Sweet Children connection! That's awesome. And Pop Will Eat Itself... Ich Bin Ein Austlander! HK would have been drastically different without 120 Minutes. We may not have even existed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I listened to a lot of our old stuff today. Mongoloid Cat Blues had me in stitches! BLUES... CAT BLUES!

    ReplyDelete