Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Wrestler: Round and Round

WOW! So, I've been waiting to see the Wrestler and I finally saw it. It definitely lived up to its reputation and maybe then some. In fact it makes me wish I was a better writer, so I could properly convey my feelings about the movie. I love how Aronfsky chose to compare the parallel lives of wrestlers and strippers, with the movie's two main characters.
I could really relate to the main character's failed attempts in life. And the movie really showed Rourke's human side, even though in reality he is "the wrestler." In fact he has already been offered a WWC or whatever wrestling career offer, which will undoubtedly negate his Oscar possibilities. Nevertheless, he deserves it. I just hope he doesn't jump off the top ropes for his acceptance speech.
What else can I say. As a time piece it was amazing. Using 80's metal and all the modern backlash to that scene, like his boss's rude comments about sitting on guys faces and wearing tights. About a different era, a time when what was considered so masculine, is now viewed as intensely gay. Amazing how it just seems to change with the time. I would imagine that being feminine and emo as a high school boy now is what is considered masculine. Who knows? I'm too old. All I know is that, "The 80's were awesome, until that Cobain pussy!" Surely the quote of the flick.
What else do I say? I could probably watch it again right now. It was so raw, tender, and human. Few films are made like it anymore. It wasn't just Rocky or Karate Kid for wrestling, it was its own movie. My old roomate, Justin Wolfson, was Mickie Rourke's personal assistant (check the credits). He's going to have to write a book now. He has too. Justin, GET ON THAT! I'll do yer intro. If only I could write. DAMN! Back to math.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really good - I'm intrigued!

    Remember, Karate Kid did have some poignant scenes too.
    "U... pretty... OK... too!"

    Didn't Miyagi win an Oscar? Or at least get nominated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey don't get me wrong. i love the Karate Kid.

    ReplyDelete