Saturday, June 14, 2008

Early Music Influences, "About Me" Ramblings

I think it was this initial complete lack of music and my grandmother that really instilled a true passion for seeking out interesting music. I mention my grandmother because she would play my sister and I records when we stayed with her, starting from a very early age. This usually consisted of Alvin and the Chipmunks or other choice 45's that I now have in my possession. From there it went to an obsession over MTV in the 80's, from age 6 - 12. I can distinctly remember the first time seeing Thriller, my cousins, who were all girls, showed me it. Also, I vividly remember the Twisted Sister video "We're Not Going to Take It." I can recall waiting and watching all day for MTV to show that video. I can also remember being told by a neighbor babysitter that it was wrong for my mom to let us watch MTV. From there I moved on to a love for vinyl. Some of my first records, I got around age 14, and included The Clash's "London Calling" and Devo's "Freedom of Choice." Also from my mom I got here only two records from childhood, left at my grandmother's house, Johnny Cash's "Greatest Hits Vol. 2" and The Beatles "Meet the Beatles." From there, I went off in every direction, especially if it was anti-mainstream. I got most of my favorite bands from the bands Beavis and Butt-head mocked or stuff I caught on the late night MTV show 120 minutes. I really hope to show a lot of videos and clips on this blog from my early inspirations from those shows. I would religiously record 120 Minutes every Sunday night at midnite, and then rush home from school every Monday and go through the VHS tape, hand selecting the choice bands from the pathetic indie wannabes. Around this time, Alternative and Punk (2nd Wave) were about to hit. It was exciting time for me and gave me confidence to be myself. I no longer cared about what people thought about me at school. I gain a sense of inner superiority for the bands I liked and became a self appointed music snob in a small town. It is at this time that I also started a band with two friends, and no musical experience what so ever. But we'll get more into Hideous Kids in future blogs....I'm sure. For now, know that I live in Portland. I usually obsess over music, in periodic phases. And that I play guitar (poorly) and collect vinyl avidly.

No comments:

Post a Comment